presence of more illegal aliens suspected to be terrorists in Ijora area of Lagos, as information at Vanguard’s disposal revealed that the suspects, who are Malians and Chadians, were occupying a three-storey building owned by a state government.
Last Thursday’s raid by the Department of State Security, DSS, and men of OP Messa, led to the arrest of two suspected terrorists and recovery of arms and explosives in a building on Aromire Street, Ijora.
File photo: TERROR ABODE—Residents at the building used as hideout by the suspects at Ijora, Lagos.
However, investigations revealed that the three story-building alleged to be used by the suspected terrorists is also located on Aromire Street, Ijora, close to the house that was raided last week.
Monarch raises alarm
Lagos monarch, Oba Fatai Oyeyinka Aremu, who spoke when traditional heads of major northern tribes resident in Lagos, led by the Seriki Hausa of Lagos State, Alhaji Sani Kadiri Garuba, visited him in his palace, said it would have been a case of the worse casualties in the history of bombings in the country.
He blamed the government that owns the building for the development. The monarch said: “You see, this problem comes from the state government that owns that property. If you go to the house in Ijora, you will see all these Malians there.
“They are squatters and we have written to the state government concerned several times without any response. Ask the Area Commander and the DPO, they will tell you. On our part, we are trying our best.”
Without mincing word, the monarch urged the Seriki Hausa of Lagos to call his people, particularly those in Ijora to order, saying “I am not happy with what happened because your people have been living with us here since. I have been here since 1994 and this kind of thing had never happened.
“We have been taking your people as brothers and sisters. You don’t have to turn back and do this kind of thing to us. Do something because I am not happy at all. Since that day (last Thursday), I have not been sleeping. Please, let this stop. I am giving them warning. Ijora is a no-go area for them.
“If they still remain in Ijora, I will flush them out, Insha Allah. They should not use Ijora as a base. Ijora is not a base for criminals. I do not tolerate nonsense. Please, I am giving them warning again, they should leave my domain. My domain is not meant for criminals. I am talking to you (Seriki).
“Please, call your men to order. Lagos is a no go area for bombings. These people referred to as Malians, Nigeriens live with your people. Please, talk to your Serikis.”
Seriki Arewa speaks
Earlier, the Seriki Hausa and Chairman, council of Arewa chiefs in Lagos, explained that the purpose of the visit was to commiserate with Oba Oyeyinka on what he described as a sad incident, and to pledge the solidarity of northerners under the Arewa councils of chiefs as peace-loving people.
He said: “We will also like to seize this opportunity to emphasise that for intensive security in our nation, we appeal to the Federal Government to do more. Although it is trying its best to check the menace, we urge them to intensify and broaden their security scope, so that this kind of thing will never happen again.
“Lagos is a mini Nigeria and anything that happened to Lagos will affect the whole nation. Finally, I will like to also appeal to other agencies and nationalities with the state to be calm and patient as we continue to live in harmony with each other.”
93 suspects handed over to Immigration
Meantime, a total of 93 illegal aliens were, yesterday, handed over to the Nigerian Immigration Service, Alagbon, Ikoyi, for onward prosecution.
The aliens, whose mission in the country could not be ascertained, were mainly Malians, Nigeriens and Chadians.
Their arrest followed a raid by joint security operatives following the discovery of a suspected terrorists’ hideout in Ijora area of Lagos, last Thursday.
Confirming the arrest, spokesman for the Nigeria Immigration Service, Mr. Muyiwa Odunubi, said the suspects would be paraded tomorrow by the Command.
He said: “I can confirm to you that we received 93 suspected Boko Haram members, who were handed over to us by the Police and other security agencies.”